Thursday, December 28, 2006

Saturday Night Live



I was raised on Saturday Night Live. SNL and I were born the same year - 1975. I remember being a youth trying to stay awake at night just hoping and praying that it would be the night that they would feature Mr. Bill. I remember Eddie Murphy as Gumby. These childlike-looking skits flew right over my head. I thought Chevy Chase looked a bit like my dad - I got a kick out of watching these adults act so silly.

SNL was with me during my high school years when it became cool again with the Church Lady, Sprockets, Hans and Franz and Wayne's World. Everyone watched it. You weren't cool if you didn't. Catch phrases like "Isn't that special?" and "asphinctersayswhat?" were everywhere.

I have always been proud to admit that my childhood home is located one block south of the famous car spindle that was featured in the Wayne's World movie. (Sorry folks, that spindle is not located in Aurora, IL. It is in beautiful downtown Berwyn, IL!) Oddly, it was only this past October that I took the opportunity to take a picture by it.

I was with it during the rise of Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey and I am still with it today. There is a great book Live From New York: An Uncensored History of Saturday Night Live, as Told By Its Stars, Writers and Guests that goes in depth behind the scenes.

Somehow, I don't think it's cool that I watch it anymore but that doesn't stop me. Although Andy Samberg seems to making a name for himself with his digital shorts and helping keep SNL in the news, it seems hardly anyone that I know watches it anymore. I don't know if it's hip for the young kids to be watching it these days.
Lorne Michaels left the show for several years in the early days and it just wasn't the same. I don't know what will happen when he is ready to retire but I just can't imagine a time when it's not on my Tivo. It seems like it would be the end of an era.

Vicki S.
Adult Services Dept.