Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Have You Tried My Jesus? He's Alright!

This Christmas I have found myself constantly checking my political correctness regarding the celebration of Jesus' birth. "Don't say Jesus." "Let's read a story about a magic star." "Happy Holidays." "Season's Greetings." "Merry X-Mas." I know it's because I work for a municipal institution and have to be mindful of that whole "separation of church and state" thing. But this year I think non-Christians are going overboard. Hello people! Christmas is exactly that. CHRIST-MAS! Factually and historically, there would be no Christmas without Christ. Let's give Him his props. Celebrating Christmas without acknowledging Christ is like coming to someone's birthday party, eating all the food, opening all the gifts and playing with all the toys while the birthday boy is locked in a closet. What's so bad about celebrating the birth of someone who teaches us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves? We celebrate Columbus Day and the only thing he taught us was how not to ask for directions. Why is it better to put emphasis on fairy tales like Rudolph, Frosty and Santa than to tell about a man who really existed and Christmas is named for? Nobody gets uptight about Kwanzaa, or Festivus or Hanukkah. Why so much hoopla and disdain for a Christian holiday? I am certainly a fan of holiday cheer, decorations and the whole bit. But when I am frowned upon for celebrating this holiday in the way that it was created to be celebrated, I start to wonder who is more narrow-minded Christians or non-Christians? Why is anything Christ related so heavily censored and considered non-inclusive? What's so bad about "Peace on earth and good will toward men?" Contrary to popular assumption Christ did not come to condemn the world, he came that we would have life and that more abundantly. So with that I say, don't be so uptight. Celebrate the true meaning of Christmas without fear of being considered right-wing or politically incorrect. Love, peace, joy and charity are always correct, no matter the season or the reason.

Tish Richardson
Youth Services Dept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home