Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Control

A problem I have always had is giving up control. I am...a...control freak. It's true. From personal experience, on both the giving and receiving ends, I can assure you that control freaks are hard to work for. My director is not a control freak and that's one of the many reasons I love working for her. My staff, on the other hand, does not have that luxury with me. I have had to work very hard to delegate and let my staff be...well, fabulous.

And they are fabulous. Nowhere in Mitchell's job description does it read that he can create documentaries for the library. But after he shared some of his youtube videos that he'd made like this http://youtube.com/watch?v=dQmNjh5SgWA and this http://youtube.com/watch?v=3IyDWhYIJ_w I realized that there was some serious untapped KPL potential there. Mitchell is now Video Lead and currently working on a documentary local history project. Mitchell has also produced music for KPL podcasts.

Nowhere in Nick's job description does it read that he should be taking pictures. But after learning of his incredibly sensitive photography skills illustrated here http://flickr.com/photos/nikku_neko I'd be foolish not to try and thread this talent into his daily KPL activities. Nick is currently working on "A Week in the Life of the City of Kankakee" with photographs that he and others have taken around the city as a library project.

Mitchell and Nick have had to give up control of their own talents somewhat, as well. Whenever an artist creates something for work, they're always giving up a little (or big) part of it – not only with copyright – but also with trust that we won’t abuse the integrity of the art. Mitchell and Nick have both trusted me and KPL with their talents. Thankfully, I’ve given up control to them, too. If I had not done so, they may not have been able to grow as creative library staff in this institution. That's control worth handing over.

Allison Beasley
Head of Adult Services

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, this is John Stewart from The Daily Journal. I'm sure we would be interested in writing about the documentary when it is finished.

5:11 AM  
Blogger Lions-Online said...

That would be great, John! This is a joing project between the Kankakee Public Library and the Kankakee Museum. We'll be sure and let you know when we get our first episode completed. Thanks for the comment!

Allison Beasley

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home