Thursday, April 12, 2007

Simon and Garfunkel


There have been two men who have been a constant in my life. I can depend on them no matter what and my love for them is practically indescribable. Sometimes I will forget about them for a while but when I think of them they welcome me with open arms that envelope me in the warmest, softest hold that no other can provide to me. Those men are Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.

Growing up we had a large piece of furniture that looked like part of our dining room set but actually consisted of speakers and a record player. We listened to all of our vinyl on this bad boy. Some of my earliest memories are my mom doing spring cleaning while Simon and Garfunkel was on the turntable. I can just picture the house and smell the scent of Windex and spring air. Just hearing one of their songs can put me in a way back machine and BAM! it’s 1979 again and I am four. Now that I am a grown woman with a house to take care of my own when I wash the windows Simon and Garfunkel must be on.

Just hearing their music puts me in the best frame of mind that I can possibly imagine. Their words, the music, the melody…everything about them is just so beautiful. When I listen to their music I just want to lay on the floor, relax my body, close my eyes and just let the sound and words wash over me.

No other artist can move me to tears with their songs. Songs like America, Kathy’s Song, Bridge Over Troubled Water and Slip Slidin’ Away resonate so strongly with me and my life. I can cry at one of these songs at the drop of a hat and the next moment be laughing and smiling at the 59th Street Bridge Song (Feelin’ Goovy) or wanting to spin around and dance with Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard or Kodachrome.

In 2003 I was blessed with the opportunity of seeing them live in concert! It was a costly ticket but well worth it to attend and enjoy the experience with my mom, who without her I am not sure I would have the same love for Paul and Art.

Vicki Stankewicz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home